Thursday, August 25, 2011

creating my lunch hours

by the riverby the riverby the riverclouds in the riverriver stonestrees above the river

My lunch breaks have become my very favorite part of the weekdays. One day I decided I no longer wanted to sit in empty classrooms wandering around blogs and Twitter on my phone for an hour while I mindlessly ate my lunch, and so I set out to find a new lunch spot. I've experimented with the library and with hiking trails, but nothing has compared to this spot: a tiny state forest just down the road, with a beautiful river running through it. I pull in and park my car in a tiny little clearing at the water's edge, then take my lunch, my journal, and my camera down to the river bank and settle in. After being in a cramped daycare classroom all morning long with eight one-year-olds, sitting and breathing and just being for an hour feels like heaven.

I wanted this space and time for myself, and I searched it out and found it.

We can always create time for ourselves, we can carve out little pockets in space to fill with exactly what we need.

4 comments:

  1. I like this post a lot! I think I will try and carve out my own little pocket of space to get away from the rest of the world. Thank you for sharing your own little space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous of this spot - enjoy it some for me too, okay?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking about how I need to reclaim my lunch hour. I used to get outside every single day (even in wintertime), and I found it to be one of the most centering, zen things I did. Now I don't, I just run around pretending to get stuff done all the time. It makes me a less productive and SIGNIFICANTLY less happy human being. You've inspired me, Ruth- next week, I'lm going to go find outside space for my lunch break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful lunch spot! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?