Tuesday, August 30, 2011

the power's back!

Irene blew in Sunday morning, fierce and strong. We went to bed Saturday night (after we threw a hurricane party!) just waiting for her, the air humid and heavy and strangely warm. Sunday morning I awoke to the thunderous noise of a tree crashing down amidst rain and wind like you wouldn't believe and then the power was sadly gone. (Before I could wash my face! And brush my teeth! Darn.)

I stayed in pajamas far too long and played card games for hours as the storm raged on. We worried for our grandparents, who live on the coast of North Carolina. I never realized how LOUD the storm would be, the wind shaking the house and pelting rain against the windows. Photos couldn't really do it justice (I should have taken a video!) but I managed to get a couple.


irene raging outsideirene raging outsidecozy sunday during irene


This is what my parents' yard looked like later that afternoon when the storm was pretty much gone:

backyard after irenepoor corn after irenedowned trees after irenepoor tomatoes after ireneneighbor's tree down after irenesunflowers after irene

Two full days of no power was starting to wear on me. And I was just trying to start week two of Leonie's Creative Goddess e-course, too! My parents do have a generator (luckily!) but those really only go so far, and I couldn't take the long, hot shower I really wanted to. Finally, at 5:00 this morning, the power kicked back on and I was so excited I couldn't fall back asleep. Thank you, Connecticut Light and Power!

Doesn't losing power always make us feel so grateful for how easy things seem when there is power?

2 comments:

  1. So glad you made it through safe and sound - and hooray for power!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find it fun to sit tight indoors through storms - it always seems so romantic and exciting. Not that any of our storms are as bad/dangerous as Hurrican Irene mind. x

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?