Saturday, June 9, 2012

a tribe of one.

untitleduntitled

It just feels really important to say this:


This is the blog of a tribe of one.*

This is the blog of a woman still learning her way around her world.

This is the blog of a 24-year old who often feels most connected to her 7-year-old self.

This is the blog of a woman who is living in a teeny bedroom off the dining room of her parents’ house.

This is the blog of a woman who is sleeping alone in a twin bed.

This is the blog of a woman who has only just begun the process of living with awareness, only two years ago.

This is the blog of a woman who often feels like her intuition is nonexistent, still growing into existence.

This is the blog of a girl who wears chipped nail polish and can’t figure out an easy morning routine to get to work on time and is still searching for a real hairstyle and has a hard time keeping plants alive.

This is the blog of someone who is still figuring it all out, utterly humanly.



I read so many blogs of women who appear to be in similar life places, yet who are older or married or have children and careers and soulful businesses of their own and as much as I feel a strong connection to these women and love them wholeheartedly, we're just at really, really different places in our lives and it just feels really important to own my truth that

I am not them.

That is not me. I’m 24 and I’m single and I have no children and I do not live in my own home and my name is not available for a custom domain.

I’m figuring this all out my own way. In my tribe of one.



*A beautiful phrase taken from Susannah Conway, in her new book This I Know.

10 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this. But to be honest,I almost cried. :/ I think I might borrow it from you...or maybe get "This I Know"? Anyway,I hope you have a nice weekend! Try to stay cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tears, I hope! I would absolutely recommend her book.....I got it in the mail yesterday and am already halfway through :) Enjoy your weekend, too.

      Delete
  2. I loved this, because I am in the exact same place. I often think I should have life figured out and a husband and kids all by now. But I don't and I'm no where close, so it's so good to know I'm not alone. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jenni, thank you for writing. I'm so glad you can relate -- THAT is why I wanted to put this post out there. I've been so busy trying to find other blogs out there that I could relate to in this way, and finally I just realized I should embracing my own blog for being just that -- the blog of a 20-something, single, haven't-quite-figured-out-life girl.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh! I'm catching up on the blog, and I just have to comment. This is SO ME! I relate to you in so many ways here.

    Sometimes, I even shy away from blogging - and have for a couple months - because I'm not in the "same place" as a lot of the wonderful ladies that are my amazing "blog friends." My life went haywire, I dropped out of college which was already a struggle and I was already late graduating, moved home to Mom and Dad's and it's been 18 months of struggling to get my life back on track. It's like all of a sudden I'm 25 and not 23 but I'm stil no more closer to graduating and having a grown up job - because I'm scared to death of going back - and I just don't have this grand career or new little family to blog all about so I just lost my love for it. But I MISS expresing myself and this post definitely has inspired me to EMBRACE it and and OWN it and don't be afraid of it.

    Sorry for my whole life story. I needed that. Ha!

    Peace & Love, Baily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm. Yes. I hear this. I stopped blogging for awhile too, afraid of my own voice. Something in me just melted the other day though, and I realized I could claim my blog as whatever I wanted it to be! It was so powerful.

      I'm glad this inspired you to embrace yours, too :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I'm glad you thought so, I'm working hard on being more honest :)

      Delete
    2. <3 thank you for being so honest. i'm feeling so bare and worn and raw lately. all i have is open honestly. i love this post so much. and i feel less alone in my tribe of one. :)

      Delete
    3. Yes. Doesn't the vocabulary just totally change your mindset? It did for me. And I feel the same -- all I have is my honesty. Might as well use it :)

      Delete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?