Tuesday, November 15, 2011

life lately.

habit : november 10

Oh, it's been hard.

Hard but good and busy and full as well.

We lost power for ten days. Ten days is a long time to be without power. Emergency shelters were quickly set up and street captains volunteered and everyone sort of pulled together. But, as a friend put it, it felt more like "coming out of a deep depression." Being so totally disconnected and in the dark (literally and figuratively!) can do a number on the soul. So, we're glad it's over. Now for the catching up and cleaning up to ensue in full force. (And there's still a lot of it.)

I'm suffering from yet another sinus infection, the first of the season. Which is so, so disheartening, seeing as how I had nose surgery just five months ago to prevent this very thing. So I've been coping with these all-too-familiar symptoms -- low, low energy levels, constant headaches, aching ears, wicked congestion, painfully sore throat -- by doing the bare minimum. I'm not very good at this.

Amidst all this, I've been re-learning (yet again) how to take care of myself during my cycle. I always seem to forget, and I think it's just a matter of not having fully learned these lessons yet. I'm taking comfort and guidance in Hannah Marcotti's words. (They feel like heaven-sent sacred passages.) And remembering tea and moving slowly and the power of saying no.

My birthday didn't nearly go as planned. And yet, here I am -- 24. My parents gifted me with a prized new lens that hasn't come off my camera since. I'm in love. And so curious as to what she can't capture beautifully.

I've also fallen in love with habit, this month especially. Taking comfort in all the wise words and collective daily photography feels like a sweet soul medicine. (And I've been featured, once!)



I'm curious to know where your lives have been, lately, too. I hope you're all well :)

2 comments:

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?