Wednesday, May 16, 2012

yes, choosing joy.



This isn't what I wanted to post today, no -- I have a million other, more exciting posts in mind, like sharing about my weekend in Philadelphia and thoughts ahead towards summer and manifesting dreams and things falling into place and creative juice and so much more.

But today is today, and this is what needs to be written.


You know that phrase, Joy is a choice? Or perhaps you've heard it as Joy is an option or Choose joy. It's the simple idea that you can master your own happiness, that it's a job you work on every day when you wake up in the morning and choose over and over again to make happen. How simple, right?

I never caught on to this idea. I quietly scoffed in my head whenever I heard this idea written or spoken. I made up stories about Well she obviously has a much easier life than I do and Yeah right, have that person spend one day in my head and see if it's so easy and so on and so on. There were a million reasons why I couldn't choose joy.

And there was also a huge amount of self-judgment. A really, really large amount. Because if joy is so easy to choose, why couldn't I choose it all the time? Why was I having bad days and struggling through mind-boggling anxiety when others were just magically, easily choosing joy? If it was really that simple, why couldn't I do it?

I had these thoughts and judgments towards myself for a really, really long time, up until just a very few months ago. And then one day it all became clear (I can't even remember how, I suppose it was just time for me to know it).


Just because joy is an option, this does not mean you need to feel joy in every single moment.

Whoa. I'm still sort of blown away by this. There are two big ideas I found here:

1. Feeling sad or fearful or anxious or off or just-having-a-bad-day is all part of choosing joy. If you're honoring your feelings and staying in the present, aren't you choosing joy? This doesn't mean you can't feel angry at the world or like you just want to crawl under your covers and never come out when you need to -- on the contrary, it actually means that these are our natural feelings that we should own. Not honoring these emotions and covering them up with a false sense of joy would be the opposite here.

2. In Hannah Marcotti's Joy Up program, I learned the difference between happiness and joy. Happiness is fleeting, a feeling that's not permanent and often based on many other impermanent factors. But joy -- oh, joy is that supreme sense of contentedness in life. It's that deep, inner knowing that all is well, that all will be well, that you're on a path towards joy and the journey there can include joy, but it can also include shit and mess. Such a difference.

See what I mean? When I began thinking of it this way, it all opened up. I got it. I can choose joy whenever I please, and I can also choose to sit with my feelings of not-good-enough and overwhelm, too -- and it still means that I'm choosing joy.


Today, I'm in a place of feeling not-good-enough and overwhelm, which is why I felt I needed this post. I'm surviving a post-salon trauma that I usually feel after every salon visit -- except this time, I'm sitting with my feelings and exploring them a bit. I had an appointment for a color and a cut last night, and left with a pretty decent color and cut. Except my stylist wasn't a match for me -- I walked out fighting back tears and feeling attacked, like I was stupid and didn't know what I was talking about and that my frizzy hair just wasn't good enough. It was awful.

Needless to say, I let it all out. (And once I was calmed down, I got out the scissors (gasp!) and trimmed my bangs to how I wanted them and would have asked for them if the stylist had stopped pushing them to the side to try and get rid of them and I hadn't been so choked up.) In those moments though, when I was really in the thick of it, choosing joy did not feel like an option. It felt like the farthest thing from my mind. I did not want to have to choose joy. I felt I couldn't choose joy. And yet, as I sat in my car sobbing and feeling like my world was ending (hormones, oh yes), I think I was choosing joy. The tears and cries were marvelous and soul-filling, and just what I needed.

I'm staying home from work today and moving slowly. I'm drinking hot tea and staying in pajama pants and taking on some extra writing to make up for a smaller paycheck from daycare next week. I'm honoring my feelings, I'm only doing things my body wants to do, I'm taking my vitamins and herbs and letting go of any other obligations.

Yes, joy. I'll take it.


22 comments:

  1. Good for you, this takes so much courage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I seriously felt exhausted afterwards. Thanks Rach :)

      Delete
  2. EnJOY your day,friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really needed to read this tonight, as I just returned from a 3 hour long color and cut with a new (second time) stylist that left me feeling really emotionally tweaked out. I think I like the new cut and color (red!) but it's such a dramatic change from the natural look I've been sporting for the past couple of years it's a bit of a shock to look in the mirror, and the other thing is, the stylist was really good but kind of pushy and I felt like she worked hard to convince me that a dramatic change was absolutely necessary to fix my boring unstylish hair and mousy color. I used to enjoy the whole going-to-the-salon thing, but this time it's left me feeling quite...raw and I see it might really be yet another thing I used to enjoy that comes up empty now. And I don't know what to make of that, but I can't wait to crawl into bed tonight with a book and forget about it. Thanks for letting me vent ;) Your bangs are super cute and really highlight your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet compliment, Uma. And I totally hear you. "I see it might really be yet another thing I used to enjoy that comes up empty now." --> YES! When so many things are changing and growing into new things in our lives, there's that strange emptiness found in some of the usual things, isn't there? It's sad, but it's also kind of amazing. The growing pains that come with them though -- oh my. Giving yourself a cozy bed and a good book to read sounds like the perfect recovery :)

      And red! Somehow, before I met you, I always kind of imagined you with reddish hair! It must look absolutely extraordinary. I'd love to see!

      Delete
  4. Lovely post, Ruth. Authentic, raw, and oh-so relatable. You are SO right about how hard it is at times to let yourself be OKAY with the uncomfortable feelings, the feelings I feel like society deems to be unsavory or ugly or whatever. In allowing yourself to truly experience this so-called unsavoriness, you're finally able to let go and find that inner serenity, that joy you speak of. Thanks for articulating this beautiful point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lindsay -- thank you. I so appreciate your words.

      Delete
  5. Squuuuueeeee! That third photo of you there. That one right there. THAT is loveliness and you and great and beautiful!

    I've already told you about my run ins with hair dressers about my um, self hair cut adventures and I think you've done a most wonderful job! Your thoughts about joy and happiness are really thought provoking and quite spot on too. It reminded me of that (Cohen?) quote "there's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in." What would joy and even happiness be without something else to compare them to? Would they have as much power and meaning without the bad and sad times? Would anything? Learning to still turn back to joy even in the darkest of times is a skill I will always strive to move towards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohmygosh, yes Amy. You've nailed it. I also recently read: "The wound is the place where they Light enters you," by Rumi. Same idea. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts here :) I try to remember that a lot -- that I need these trying times to appreciate the good ones more!

      Delete
    2. I also think that the ability to stop and realise that the good times are good WHEN they are good is a skill to strive towards, you know? It is so easy to look back at a time and think about how good it was, but actually realising it in the moment, I'm not sure if I ever do that. On the other hand, it is so easy to dwell in the crappiness of a crappy situation. So easy to just sit in a bad time and be aware of it.

      I'm going to practice being more aware of the good.

      Delete
    3. Mmmmm, yes. Absolutely yes. Thank you for making me think of this -- it's a wonderful point. I've been trying to be more aware of my body lately -- what anxiety does inside me, and also what happiness feels like inside me -- and I've also been trying to focus more on gratitude. I'm always amazed by a simple gratitude list before bed. Thanks for sharing, Amy :)

      Delete
  6. So beautifully expressed Ruth, & something I'm learning myself. Hairdressers are simply too much for me, so I always cut my own hair!! Faery hugs my lovely :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I leave the salon I always tell myself I'm only going to cut my own, from now on! I totally get that. Especially with bangs, right in front of your face, so easy -- I actually ended up cutting mine much shorter than the stylist did, and it felt so good :) Best of luck with your journey xx

      Delete
  7. I love how these sorts of sayings only appear obvious...once you've already achieved them. Hearing the statement when you're in a longterm funk won't actually make sense. Until it actually happens, but then the quote is sort of an-after-the-fact type of thing.

    What I'm saying is that one cannot simply tell a sad person to "choose joy", I think the sad person has to choose joy to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I so agree. Funny how that happens, isn't it?

      Delete
  8. I LOVED this post! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it :) Thanks for reading xx

      Delete
  9. inspiring post. hope your sunday is dancing along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Keishua, your comment really brightened my Sunday :)

      Delete
  10. I just visited your blog for the first time today and your latest entry was just what I needed. Thank you thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so grateful. Glad you found what you needed xx

      Delete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?