Tuesday, July 24, 2012

boston, blogging, and a book tour

I haven't felt very called to blog much lately. I've felt torn in so many different directions about it that the best thing to do was to just step away from it.

And it's been good.

Not blogging simply because I didn't want to, instead of blogging anyway and putting down crap.

There's been so much fear around it.

Fear.
Anxiety.
Insecurity. 

I can now barely bring myself to put pen to paper and spit these thoughts out into coherent sentences. (I'm writing in my journal, first, then copying onto the screen.)

But perhaps I need to.

I've been letting my fear dictate to me.

What if so-and-so reads this?
What if no one likes it?
What will they think? (I have no idea who they are.)
What if my followers don't like the direction I'm taking this blog?
What if there's too much disparity between my physical world persona and my online persona and I look dishonest?
What if someone doesn't like the person I'm growing into?

And then Hannah told me, "Let your followers go."

Susannah Conway said the best way to find your authentic voice is to practice, and keep writing.

And so I'm practicing.

Hannah told me, "Let your followers go. Write for you."

But much easier said than done.....

It's so hard to let go of the inner chatter, the voices judging the words before they're even out of your head. To see past them, to hear your own voice, to feel full and solid and supported in the words you're putting down.

This is what I want to unearth.

I think this is exactly where I need to be in my blogging growth. When I re-launched in April, I was so sure it would change everything -- a new name, a new look, a new face. Turns out, making cosmetic changes doesn't totally change the energy -- imagine that. If there's not enough heart and solid ground in it, it will still crumble.

I've been dreaming of moving to an entirely new blogging space and leaving a note on the door here saying, "Follow me over if you'd like." And maybe I really will do that. I don't know.

But for now, it feels good to get some truths out, in an on-my-way-to-authentic voice.

boston bound for susannah conway's book toursusannah conway book toursusannah and me!hannah and me!

Last night I had the opportunity to meet and circle with an amazing group of women, writers and bloggers and creatives. I was in Boston to see Susannah Conway, blogger extraordinaire, touring for her new book This I Know: Notes on Unravelling the Heart. 

All those women in one place, talk of blogs and writing and creative process floating about the room -- it lit something inside of me.

I finally met Hannah, my soul-sister, and we hugged and ate gluten free cookies together and talked about blogging and Providence and writing books.

I sat beside Susan Piver and she asked what I did and she gave Hannah and I a tour of her beautiful loft.

I met Elizabeth Duvivier, Squam founder, and got to tell her all about the Joy Up and we bonded over living in and moving to Providence.

I connected with so many other local women and like-minded spirits and shared information. I've already gotten an email.

It was pure magic.

I think I was in a state of ecstasy the whole way home and am still riding the high today. 

And now blogging is at the front of my brain. That big cosmic hug last night quietly urged me to sit down today, putting pen to paper, and record my thoughts.

My truths. 

My authenticity. 

I owe myself (and you) at least that.

17 comments:

  1. You and Hannah are absolutely right - let the followers go. In fact, let everything go and move into what is easy and pleasing for you. That is when you know it's from the heart and everything else will fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^ Completely agree.

      Delete
    2. Oh my, Cassandra, you've hit it spot on. Thank you so much for adding your words here. Getting such supportive feedback to such an honest post is so gratifying. You're right, and Amber agrees -- everything else will fall into place. I'm learning to trust that.

      Delete
  2. Ahhhhhhh! Are you me?? Seriously. I have been going through this very same thing lately. I have constantly been telling myself that I have writer's block - yet I am writing SO much -- just in a different format. I feel what I am processing is too deep to share yet. I am writing morning pages, afternoon pages, evening pages. Pages upon pages upon pages...of gunk. Or, at least what I feel is gunk. In hopes that I can just clear it out, and through all that the nuggets of truth will start to assemble. Glimpses. That's all I've been getting. And I feel like whatever I post on my blog is a half-truth. Authentic, yes. But just a version of the full, ugly, god-awful truth of what I'm REALLY going through and learning and discovering. But, I mean, really - WHO wants to read that?.....and I have also thought I need to re-do my blog again (which I JUST did a few months ago!), and take a whole different approach. I feel like focusing on the whole single mom aspect is too limiting, and I'm feeling a need for more expansiveness and creativity right now. So, I'm thinking of just scrapping it and starting over, or taking along my favorite posts. And focus on truth. Truth gleaned through creativity. Writing, painting, collage, photography, yoga. My vehicle towards the journey to truth. Anyway, I just totally wrote way too much here.....just want you to know that what you're not alone in these feelings of yours. AND - that yes, "wherever you go, there you are" - which I suppose is also very true for blogs. Energy and intention is what matters rather than the outer veneer.
    So much love to you Ruth. You are right where you need to be. Right on track. And holy cow - what an amazing night you just had, indeed. Lucky! =) =) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina! Whoa. Our similarities just continue to grow. I just read your whole comment nodding in agreement the whole time. YES. I went through a spell not long ago where I felt I couldn't blog simply because I was too busy filling my journal with the really juicy stuff, the stuff that felt too private and personal and messy to turn into posts. And it felt SO GOOD to get it out of my head and onto page after page -- it was totally what I needed. And now that you bring that up, I realize -- not only have I stepped away from blogging lately, but I've stepped away from my journal too. (Ever since I cut back my long hours and don't take a lunch break anymore, my journaling has significantly decreased -- those lunch breaks were when I used to do all my writing.) Perhaps that's telling -- perhaps it's not specifically blogging that I need to get back into, but writing at all.

      Delete
  3. it's uncanny the simpatico in our lives :)
    you're totally inspiring me here.
    love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Thank you for writing for you, for me. The connectedness I feel to these words you shared is amazing. Keep being you, it's beautiful!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm Xandra, your words were exactly what I needed to here. I think that's what blogging really all boils down to for me -- connectedness. So glad to have found some here, for both of us xx

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this! I really enjoyed reading. It has taken me almost two years to really focus on writing my blog for me and not for anyone else. And I, too, have found so much joy and happiness writing for me. Readers connect with it so much more, too, which is great! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right. I want to cultivate this for-me-blogging feeling now. Thank you so much for writing here! I'm off to check out your blog xx

      Delete
  6. you are so lovely, i'm so so happy we got to meet :) xxx

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?