Tuesday, July 6, 2010

a dapple of my weekend, in dc

You know those weekends that literally feel like they only lasted about five hours and make you feel physically ill to see them end?

Yeah, that was this weekend.

lincoln memorial

Since we had a car in the city, we took full advantage of driving ourselves around everywhere, even if that meant giving up a perfectly good parking spot and sitting in Fourth of July traffic. At least we got to drive by Lincoln sitting up in his chair.

jana, mimosas on the roofpoolsidepool games

Since the weather was oppressively hot, we spent quite a bit of time by the rooftop pool, having breakfast and playing water games and drinking cold mimosas.

eastern marketblueberries, peas at eastern marketrachel at eastern market

No weekend would be complete without Eastern Market of course, so we bore the heat for about 20 minutes, admiring doorknobs and tasting hummus and buying the late-in-the-day on-sale produce. We then went promptly across the street into an air conditioned shop and gulped iced teas.
jana, primping

sunny sidewalksistersmonumentfireworks

And of course, we trekked to the mall with a million other tourists to see the fireworks above the monument on Sunday evening.

Not included in photos: barbecuing with friends in front yards drinking beer, kayaking down the Potomac (if only my camera was waterproof!), going to the salon for extremely intimate waxing sessions (yipes!), relishing in bars just around the corner from Rachel's apartment, deciding to go home and eat artichokes instead of bar-hop some more, and falling asleep during movies on air mattresses.

Oh yeah, and we were eating something delicious every other minute, just as it should be:
IMG_0650IMG_0647fruit salad



And then I drove home alone with my book on CD, sadly.

goodbye sun

11 comments:

  1. Looks like a delightful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these photos! DC is such an awesome place to visit! looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had a great time - wonderful pics as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww I am so happy that you had a great weekend. As always, I love the photos.

    I have lived right around the corner from DC all my life but even so I have never seen it like I have through these photos.

    It is always sad to see great weekends end, but I am sure there will be many more to come!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds & looks like a fantastic time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the rooftop pool looks amazing! glad you had a nice weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was so good to have you for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oppresively hot is a good way to describe July.
    But the food looks so yummy! And oh my gosh I LOVE the photo of the shadows...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. outdoor pool? mimosas? fresh blueberries?

    yes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want a copy of the Washington Monument at sunset...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?