Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Why, God, Why??!?!

This place is sucking the life out of me.

Now, we all know I've never been the orientation-leading, tour-guiding, gushy-about-how-great-this-place-is kind of UConner, but there are few select qualities that endear me to this school (okay, number one, that they gave me some money to come here back in the days of 2005, which they subsequently reeled away from me, faster and faster, as the years continued, leaving me penniless and loan-inundated as a senior in 2009).

But lately, it's like this place is The Vortex of All Things Undesirable. Freezing temperatures? Storrs has got 'em. Wind chill making them feel ten degrees lower? Come to Storrs! Vertical hills that make you swear you'll never walk to class again? That's Storrs for ya. Lack of parking that forces you to walk to class every day, thereby revoking your previous oath dejectedly? Welcome to Storrs, Connecticut.

Please, can you really tell me this is not enticing you to hop in your car and drive to this fabulous University of Conecticut as fast as you possibly can?

Yeah. Me neither. I stay away as much as I am able.

This, unfortunately, is not so realistic, seeing as how I live here. Poop. Fortunately, I only have seven sweet weeks left.

Hold the phone, did I just type SEVEN WEEKS?

That's like, less than two months (wow, now I've resorted to typing that tragic word).

Honestly, all I gotta say is "Woohooooooo!"

Oh, and a little bit of, "Crap! Shit! Fuck!" (sorry, Mom).

But this girl is joining the big ranks, no more registering for classes and choosing housing and walking to class. No siree, I'm moving on to bigger and better! I repeat, woohooooooo!

As I sat outside the Residential Life office this morning awaiting my New York Intern Program phone interview (to be continued, folks), I overheard some poor girls pleading with the bitchy ResLife woman about how they messed up picking their apartment on ResLife's absolutely out-to-screw-you-out-of-housing website. I did feel a little sorry for them. I did the same thing last year and had to resort to making $5/minute international calls from South Africa to Connecticut convincing Steph's mom to call ResLife and use her super-assertiveness to make them fix our problem. But then, I didn't care. I'm outta here, suckas! Seven more weeks. . . . .

In the meantime, I'm stuck here in The Vortex. Campus makes me miserable, classes make me miserable, even my very own cute little apartment makes me somewhat miserable (I say "somewhat" because I do indeed like the quiet refuge of my room--I'm quite proud of my oh-so-Ruth decorating skills).

Perhaps this is just a bad week.

Because after all, look how far I got on yesterday's crossword:



SUPER accomplishment. Now I just need to finish one. Call me an old woman if you'd like, but I'm a sucker for the Daily Campus's crosswords. They highlight my day. Especially when I get really far, without even cheating.

On another note, this is where I want to go Saturday morning:

Greater Vernon Holistic Healthfest.

Sounds lovely, no? I'm so going. It's right up my alley. Naturopathy? Yoga? Stress management? Yes, please. I'll be the girl changing her outfit every 20 minutes in order to outsmart the Therapeutic Massage of Manchester masseuses thereby getting more than one free massage. Sweeeeet.

Okay, so now that it's 9:38pm and reruns of The Office come on on TBS in 22 minutes and I still have to bang out a five-page paper for which I have done zero research, I shall leave you. Farewell.

1 comment:

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?