Wednesday, January 11, 2012

creating a vision board.

Still catching up around here, but making time for dreaming and scheming and creating, too.

First order of business? Create a vision board to hang in my bedroom, to double/triple/quadruple my intentions of seeing dreams come true in 2012.

Step One : Get a basic bulletin board from your local office supply store. (Or flea market, or basement -- or re-purpose one!) I found this one at Office Depot for just $10.

vision board : step one

Step Two : Find a pretty piece of fabric. (This came from my old college DIY drapes.) Cut a piece so it just barely overlaps the inside edges of your board frame. (And, as is in my case, is entirely crooked -- oops.)

vision board : step two

Step Three : Fold under the raw edges and secure in place with push pins, staples, or hot glue. (I wasn't sure the hot glue would work here and, honestly, didn't want to go dig mine out. So push pins it was!)

vision board : step three

Step Four : Adorn with images of all things inspire-worthy, that remind you of happiness and possibility when you look at it.

vision board : step four

Step Five : Hang in a central location to be reminded often. I hung mine at the foot of my bed, to see every morning :)  (Bonus if you have a cute cat to cozy things up a bit.)

vision board + cat


Right now, my board's still a work in progress. I wanted to have it filled before I took photos and posted to the blog, but then realized if I waited until it was perfect, I might be waiting awhile. So here it is, in progress and imperfect! So far, my photos are for a sweet pretty home to call my own (with an added black puppy! See it?), the solace and beauty of being free and independent, a tribe of women, and a one true love.

Do you have a vision board? Plan on making one? I'd love to see!

10 comments:

  1. Love your beautiful vision board and that frame - I have the same exact one in my home! May all your intentions and wishes come true in 2012! All the best from my creative oasis to yours - Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Ruth,
    i love how you have covered the plain pin board with fabric and also that you can add and move around images whenever you wish.

    i love to make vision boards but my head isn't quite with my 2012 one yet and as i looked through images one for a quiet, gentle garden space emerged, so i have laid images on a b oard and am musing over them just now.

    you can see me 2011 vision board on my flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/sweetmyrtle/5372070377/in/set-72157625416477346

    i am actually running a workshop next week to create a vision board for 2012. i do teach but it's usually sewing and art/craft so i am a little nervous but i really wanted to share the joy of making them with others... wish me luck
    ginny
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mary!

    Jill -- how funny to have the same board! It's a beauty :) Best wishes to you as well!

    Ginny -- your 2011 board is beautiful! I love the collage effect. Best of luck with your workshop! I'm sure it will all be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a similar board awhile back, although I used it more to keep track of cards people gave me, little pictures that are pretty, and some nazar boncuk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! Right now, I just have lots of lists and saying taped to my office wall ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too! Keeping everything together in one place (lists, calendars, even hair ties!) is super important to me right now. And with inspiration to boot!

      Delete
  6. Love that idea. I usually use some spare paper. This year, I yearn for small but lovely changes-a better/less commuting work situation, 1 place of residence, less debt, more free-time and more art/play.Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I yearn for those things too! Really, a vision board can be anything -- it's the inspiration that counts, right?? :)

      Delete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?