Thursday, January 5, 2012

these things I need.

moon, january 2012

Today I pulled into the driveway, bringing my car to a stop in my usual spot as I ended my podcast and switched off the headlights and heat and turned the ignition, pulling out the key.

It was dark, and I realized my car had become bathed in bright moonlight. I instinctively inhaled deeply and let my hands rest in my lap, releasing the keys and dropping my shoulders and exhaling loudly. It was then that I realized.

I need this. I need this.

You see, since Christmas, I've felt unraveled. Undone. Disconnected. I had gotten swept up in the busyness and chaos and obligations of the holidays and, somewhere in there, forgotten that I had needs.

Tonight, I remembered. These things I need.
I need quiet moments beneath the moon.
I need wholesome, nutritious foods.
I need alone time, every single day.
I need to hear the words of inspirational women.
I need lots of water, probably more than most.
I need to give myself time and space to take deep breaths.
I need to be creative.
I need deep, human connection.
I need movement, in some way.

When these things are remembered, I feel most connected. Filled up. At peace with myself.

These are not things that I want, or things that I need simply for happiness or contentment --

they are needed for my existence.



What is it that you need for your existence? Share in the comments if you feel called :)

3 comments:

  1. I love this, Ruth. I often feel the same exact way. Thanks for affirming the goodness of introspection, self-awareness, and connection. :

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Lindsay, I'm so glad you can understand, too. Thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this and I love the gentleness of your words; the subtle beauty they evoke. Your writing is wonderful xx

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?