Wednesday, May 18, 2011

a foray into the earth.

petuniasseedssnowfall of petalsseeds plantedpansies for sale!beautiful

"Gardens can be sanctuaries of the soul, if they bring us back into contact with the earth. When we are fully grounded, we become aware of the values which shape our lives."
~The Soul Garden, Donald Norfolk

On Saturday, I planted my seeds.

I researched flowers and vegetables and herbs and decided on a select few that spoke to me.

Lavender, lemon balm, mint, cosmos, poppies, black eyed susans, sage, chamomile, echinacea.

I journeyed to the garden shop and carefully selected my seeds, those little life-envelopes, so unassuming there on the shelf. I brought them home (along with some 50 cent pansy 6-packs, of course), read and re-read the instructions on the packets, and then got down to it.

I kept on my long, billowy, white skirt, feeling dreaming and determined and unafraid of the dark brown dirt inevitably gravitating towards it. I planted myself outside beneath the bright white crabapple tree upon a stool, the bucket of soil before me. And I sowed. I filled the containers and sprinkled the seeds covered them lightly and watered them gently, whispering encouragement all the while. I set them outside beneath the cover of a stone wall and made a little prayer for them to grow, grow, quickly and spiritedly.

And then the next day, it poured buckets and the sun didn't shine once and sadly, I forgot all about those poor little seedlings (and my very-rolled-down car windows, too).

Now, they're sitting in the basement beneath gro-lights as the elements rage outside and I see no immediate hope of them seeing dear sunlight anytime soon. It's supposed to rain for the next four days straight. But they're warm and cozied by fake sunlight and, while slightly battered, I have faith they'll make it.

For I have a dream of fostering their growth and transplanting them to my own little plot of garden and watching them rise up out of the earth and cast about their sweet, sweet company. I want to sit beside clumps of lavender and and lemon balm and breathe them in and grow right along with them.

For I think this growing part is what I like best.

5 comments:

  1. This is exciting! I'm going to plant a garden this summer too and I can't wait! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jackie, hurray! Our own little virtual gardening club :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. It's interesting that you were drawn to so many of the relaxant herbs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lemon balm is my favorite thing on the plaannetttt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. m--Yes! I chose those specifically :)

    Jes--I've never even seen lemon balm before, just read about it! I can't wait for it to grow...

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?