Tuesday, June 1, 2010

a dapple of my weekend

Extremes, extremes, extremes. That's what my weekend was. I've not had a stranger, happier, more exhausting, devastating weekend, I don't think ever.

Let me back up.

My weekend started Thursday night, when Rachel finally flew home to us and we chatted nonstop the entire ride home from the airport. (You may think I'm exaggerating, but really--there was not one lull in conversation the whole 45 minutes. We can talk.) Friday morning was fantastic--I took the day off, we went to an early yoga class and met Mom for a leisurely breakfast.

Unfortunately, Friday evening we had to attend the wake for a dear family friend. Never have I seen the town come together as they did this weekend for a such a loved member of the community. It was a heartbreaking tragedy, but good to see so many familiar faces coming together.

This also meant that many friends came home from far and wide for the weekend. (Remember when I mentioned extremes?) It was so good to see old friends and unexpectedly get to be together again, despite the circumstances. (One friend had even planned on moving to Germany this past week, which he put off just long enough to be here for the family and see his friends one last time.)

All day Saturday was an exhausting "funeral," which really seemed more like a celebration. Tears were shed and laughter could be heard. Shared dishes were eaten and hugs were every two minutes. It was an unfathomably sad day.

I was so busy and mentally occupied that I didn't even have the desire to take a picture until Saturday night. Which was when regular, "everyone's home for the weekend" activities resumed, much to our delight.

brandy alexanderfive crownstypical

Five crowns and Brandy Alexanders? Our families know each other so well.

While there was so much heartbreak and mourning this weekend, there was an equal amount of joy and festivity, as well.

The heat of Sunday brought out the towels in the backyard and the kids on the slip and slide. And Rachel was still home, thankfully.

Isn't she just the cutest? I love her so much.

cutie
slip and slide yes please

Monday was a busy day of our Memorial Day picnic and party for my mom. Family and friends all came with dishes and it was just the perfect day to end the first summer weekend. Rachel and I might have been planning this for weeks, between you and me.

jana and me

Oh, and I made an enormous chocolate cake with raspberry filling. From scratch. A la Deb, of course.

CAKEmom and cb

Have you ever seen a sweeter baby? Being a pro babysitter has its perks, I guess. Just look at this pose:

posingbuntingi see youflicker

I mean, Mary and the other kids even caught fireflies in jars.

I sort of love summer.

fireflies

So, it was a weekend of extremes. Inconceivable heartache, familiar joy, right next door.

Life sure does throw loops, sometimes.

We'll all miss you more than you know, Ydalmen.


11 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss but what a great way to celebrate a life with family and friends! Glad your weekend was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh I love this! You do such a great job capturing everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to let you know that the way you capture life with photography is absolutley fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fabulous, fabulous weekend! the firelies in jars and chats-that-never-end, sound just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post! I love hearing about your weekends, the good, the bad and the in between.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Condolences to all your family and friends for your loss, but how bittersweet it was to be there together after so long. And luckily the rest of the weekend was filled with [extreme!] loveliness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post!!
    watermelon, fireflies, mason jars -
    my favorite things about summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cake looks yummmmmmy! Nice weekend, looks like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funerals that are celebrations really are the best kind, aren't they?
    The lovely parts of your weekend sound amazing, and the sad parts sound like they were the perfect tribute to a well-loved friend. Happy summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these dapples of your weekend! So sorry for your loss - I'm glad you were at least surrounded by family during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no, I'm sorry for your loss. At least there was joy this weekend as well.

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?