Tuesday, June 1, 2010

quite possibly my favorite moment from the long weekend


Driving around town with my two sisters, ages twenty-four and ten, doing errands for our mother's birthday party the next day.

Getting hungry and slightly tired, irritation and annoyances kicked in.

In a burst of inspiration, I did my best to explain my theory of creating a "love symbol" in your mind, a thing or a place or a moment or a person that resembles love to you. Then attaching that symbol where love is needed--to someone who's annoying you, to a feeling of anger towards something, to yourself and any of your own self-destructive thoughts (usually where mine's needed). I explained the importance of spreading positive energy to come back to us through time, instead of ill will and negativity.

"You mean, like a cat? I love cats," Mary offered.

I assured her the thought of a cat was perfect. It symbolized her ridiculously sweet adoration of all things feline, and her own cat's love for her, too. Ten year olds can't get much sweeter, really.

A few minutes later, an over-zealous driver struggled to take turns merging, causing us to put on the brakes and slow down to let him in and avoid a crash. Rachel let out a frustrated sigh, voicing her irritation at inconsiderate drivers.

Not a second later, we heard giggling coming from the backseat. When we asked Mary what was so funny, she responded, pointing at the car in front of us, "Look! There's a cat sitting on the roof of that man's car!"

It took a second for us to realize that she was, in fact, attaching her love symbol, literally.


Addendum: I got this in an email from Rachel this morning.

Also, yesterday when we were getting ready for the party, I was getting frustrated about something but trying to stay positive, and Mary called out from her room, where she was cleaning, "LOVE SYMBOL!!!!"


I just love sisters.


5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, your sisters sound amazing. I have two sisters also and I love love love them. I am certainly going to take your advice about using a love symbol. It is important to remember the power of positive thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww! this story made me smile. and it made me realize that my sister is my love symbol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOODNESS!
    how cute is this!??
    seriously this made my day.
    your sweet little sister!!!

    i have sisters too and i just love them! how awesome of you to be encouraging your little sister to always be thinking positively!!

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?