Thursday, October 14, 2010

morning rituals

These days, waking at 4am and either working all day long or bizarrely getting out by 9am or finding unexpected time off before 1pm has really thrown me for a loop. Luckily, I've realized one savior of my sanity is taking the time to have something for breakfast. And smoothies are my newest morning ritual.

morning smoothie

It's not really cooking, but it's not really inhaling a Larabar in the car, either. Taking the time to choose my ingredients and getting it to the right consistency and then sitting down with it (wonders!) just makes my soul happy. I've been including in mine:

A couple pinches of flax seeds,
A cup or two of spinach leaves,
A spoonful of plain Greek yogurt,
A cup of frozen berries,
A banana, and
A splash of rice milk.

Of course, there are a million other variations I can't wait to try.....


Do you have any cherished morning rituals?

6 comments:

  1. I love breakfast smoothies. And morning rituals, although my only ritual lately has been racing out the door!

    Your morning ritual sounds way better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks good!
    i'm trying to become a morning person so that i can have morning rituals that involve things other than caffeine - it's soooo hard :)
    ideally i imagine this really disciplined person who gets up early to do some yoga and meditation, then sits down to a nutritious breakfast while reading the news...
    right now, i'm so eating a doughnut and drinking a chai latte, reading blogs... i'm working on it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breakfast smoothies can be a wonderful way to start the day! My boyfriend used to make them all the time before work and that is when I realized how delish it could be...especially packed with all things good for you!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coffee! Cant leave home without it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love mornings. I need coffee, a journal and some sort of structured contemplation.

    Smoothies-I miss those. You are making me want to whip out the old blinder.
    peace,keishua

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy, ever since the summer I've been doing the Ayurvedic routine in the morning. It takes a long time so I have to get up extra early (and go to bed early) but my favorite part of it is definitely the Abhyanga, oil massage. I was also really loving taking a little walk into the woods but it's been cold and dark when I get up lately so I've been staying inside...

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?