Tuesday, October 12, 2010

what it is i've been doing

in the sun

I wish I could answer.

No, I suppose I've been working and sleeping a little and catching up on How I Met Your Mother reruns and reading (Anne Lamott and The Organic Cook's Bible and Yoga Journal) and speed-crocheting the second half of a long-overdue blanket and taking photos of sunshine on red leaves and doing Sunday's crossword puzzle in bed and drinking lots, and lots, of lattes.

I suppose I've been feeling overwhelmed and unsure and sort of angry and all topsy-turvy-like. But mixed up in there has been some contentment and intrigue and clarity, too.

Slowly, but surely.


Some words of Anne Lamott have rung true with me for the past few days, and I can't help but share them here (thanks to Lecia for the inspiration). This woman's sentiments have seemingly come straight from my own heart--I think they're the best thing I've stumbled upon in a long time.


"Every single one of us at birth is given an emotional acre all our own. You get one, your awful Uncle Phil gets one, I get one, Tricia Nixon gets one, everyone gets one. And as long as you don’t hurt anyone, you really get to do with your acre as you please. You can plant fruit trees or flowers or alphabetized rows of vegetables, or nothing at all. If you want your acre to look like a giant garage sale, or an auto-wrecking yard, that what you get to do with it. There’s a fence around your acre, though, with a gate, and if people keep coming onto your land and sliming it or trying to get you to do what they think is right, you get to ask them to leave. And they have to go, because this is your acre."


5 comments:

  1. I absolutely love that Anne Lamott quote and you posted it at a time when I too really needed it! Thank you, Ruth!

    Feeling overwhelmed and a bit "topsy-turvy-like" seems to be in the air, but am glad you are gaining some clarity "slowly, but surely" as well!

    Sending smiles your way! :) :) :)

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love Anne Lamott. She makes me want to be better in so many ways.

    Thanks for your sweet birthday wishes. This is me wishing you a wonderful day to tend to your "emotional acre". Perhaps build a swing set? Or a water slide? Or a crazy awesome fort?

    Just a few ideas:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh i love that!!

    it's seems a lot of us are feeling all... (well i don't have a word for it, but lately i've just been describing this feeling by throwing my arms in the air and waving them around frantically while shaking my head and going "bleehhhahhh") at least that's how i felt, neither great nor bad... mostly i can sum up my feelings with a big - {?}

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so appreciative that you guys can empathize! Here's hoping whatever this is clears out SOON...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been feeling the same way, nice to know I am not the only one

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?