Tuesday, October 12, 2010

supportive decisions

lone pumpkin

Over the weekend, I saw an old friend I hadn't seen in months. As we chatted over margaritas, she lamented the fact that she's still living at home after college with a not-so-perfect job, and has been for over a year now, watching friend after friend leave town.

But you know, she told me, I've decided I might as well start doing things now while I have extra money and extra time.

I nodded in agreement. And then this next part delighted me.

I've begun taking piano lessons,
she said. Even though I've never played a day in my life, and I've never been good with musical instruments, I'm learning. I go once a week after work, and I'm actually loving it.


How revolutionary! To some, it may sound simple, but to me--I couldn't have been more incredulous and affirmative.

Yes! Do things you love! Now! While you have the opportunities!

I had already been toying with this radical idea, but Maria's words provided solid ground. I learned there are other people in this world making supportive decisions for themselves in many ways. Self-indulgent ones, at that.

Why can't I be one of them?

Another Anne Lamott quote comes to mind:

“It may help to remember this great line of Geneen Roth’s: that awareness is learning to keep yourself company. And then learn to be more compassionate company, as if you were somebody you are fond of and wish to encourage. I doubt that you would read a close friend’s early efforts and, in his or her presence, roll your eyes and snicker. I doubt that you would pantomime sticking your finger down your throat. I think you might say something along the lines of, ‘Good for you. We can work out some of the problems later, but for now, full steam ahead!’”


My birthday is coming up in a few weeks, and I think that may be the perfect day to put this new principle into action.....

7 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, do it. You are never ever too old to learn to something new. My mom took college art classes at RISD when she was in her 60's and she never even went to college in the first place so you can imagine how intimidating that was for her.
    And I have been putting this same theory into practice this year and am really loving it — because I scan do these things and that's really a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm completely inspired. Time to make happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this post has churned my imagination full steam...

    i've always had this urge to just sell everything i own, get a beat up VW van and nomad around the country... because why not... i'm not married, don't have kids or any serious responsibility. if i could only figure out how not to starve on this adventure... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautifully said to do things now while you can and the things you love! Very exciting for your friend...good for her!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful idea, I actually have a piano sitting in my house that I continually stare out and wish I could make sing...maybe piano lessons might be right for me too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes something so simple can make such a big impact

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?