Wednesday, August 11, 2010

beginning, slowly

My blog needs a break. Or rather, I need a break from it.

I've contemplated methods of accomplishing this: looking for guest bloggers, an extended silent absence, dropping the whole thing altogether. But I don't want to abandon this space, as difficult as I'm finding it to keep up. I began this blog when I feel that I began, when I started to awake to this new level of consciousness that I'm unfolding every day, now. This has become more than just a blog--it's become a facet of myself, an extension.

When I became too involved with what I should be writing about or who would be reading its words or whether or not I should share certain information, it became less of myself and more of a concern. And my life didn't, couldn't, wouldn't allow for any more concerns.

So I considered ditching it. And immediately I took it back and snatched it up and embraced it, guilty for abandoning it, if only in my thoughts. Since then, I've tried hard to make it for myself, a self-serving space I could use however I liked.

It's a weird thing, this blogging, no?


Nevertheless, I've still felt like I need a break from it. My energies are just in so many other places right now that my heart just hasn't been in my posts as much as I feel it should be.

As you might know, at the end of July I finished my service term with AmeriCorps. Not only was I facing looming unemployment, but I realized I was left with the extremely trying, difficult, intense task of processing this year on my own, at home. The after-school program and family resource center I had worked with had lost funding and was shut down after ten-plus years in service to the community, leaving my small team with the task of disengaging from the kids and families we had grown to love, not to mention layoffs of the only coworkers I had come to know. So, the last month and a half of my term I spent sitting at a desk in the nonprofit organization's corporate office, faking smiles for the CEO and trying to pretend like I enjoyed working in a cushy downtown office where everyone acted as if the less glamorous neighborhood I had relocated from didn't exist anymore (where I'd much rather have been). It was a difficult year.

Add to that my (slow) acclimation back to the real world after college and my recent major decision to turn down two amazing offers at UVM and UW, and I was in rough shape. And not many people around me understood this predicament I found myself in.

But you know what? Hmmm, how do I put this.........I'm better for it. In fact, I began to see that these were fantastic, good things for me.

You see, the past few months of my life have taken an entirely new direction, a 360 degree spin. I was sick and tired of surviving. My whole life I had been just surviving. I was mad. I was furious. I was sad that I had to be mad at all. I had had enough. Somewhere in there, I found enough courage and love for myself to reach a breaking point, and I let myself break. (Breaking is scary stuff.)

I decided that at some point, the cycle of abuse turns to yourself, and you can either choose to abuse yourself as well, or try practicing some self-care and step away. I tried just that. I left home and awoke to this whole new world that had existed the whole time, just under the surface, that I just hadn't been aware of through all the muck.

I don't care for abuse. I don't care for negative, draining, exhaustive energy. I don't care for lack of support. I don't care for direct crushing of morale. I don't care for any of it. At some point, I realized that my disdain for such things had reached a whole new level. I was waaay up here, and they were waaaay down there, and removing myself from these abusive situations has been my saving grace.

I'm still up here, and growing farther and farther higher to an entirely new level of consciousness, but they're still down there. In fact, that's been the hardest part about all this growing--realizing that you're growing away from so much that you've known.

Now, I'm still living at home. I've found ways to deal with that for now, though. I've been reading Rumi and Julia Child autobiographies and Sark and travel guides to Paris (you know, for dreaming up my someday-getaway). I've been writing in journals and recording every single truth I come to realize about my life. I've been listening to myself--really listening, and trying to be true to that voice. I'm forming new bonds and shying away gracefully from the old ones.

I'm unemployed, for now. To some unsupportive souls who know me, this is a horrible, terrible thing. But luckily for me, I can still afford to pay my student loan bills and I live with my parents and have no rent and I can embrace it. This might be my only chance to embrace it. In two weeks I'll be starting back up again with the old daycare I worked at in college (I know--I was ecstatic when I thought I was done there, but it really won't be so bad, I know it won't be, it's simply a step for now), and until then I'm practicing self-care and discovering new outlets and creating new truths. I'm trying to remind myself to have some compassion for meItalic, and go with the flow. (In fact, just the other night this notion of self-love was solidified for me: I dreamt that I came face-to-face with a seven-year-old version of myself, and we hugged and cried and it was the weirdest, but most satisfying dream-experience.) I want to go to the movies by myself and sit in libraries and read my camera's user manual and eat good cheese and practice yoga and revel in alarm clocks set early.

I don't know where I want to live. I don't know what kind of job I want to look for, or where to look for it. I don't know what I want to go back to school for. I don't know when I'll want to go back to school. But I'm not jumping to a place of "OhmygodIdon'tknowwhattodo" anymore, I'm simply living. I'm learning that this isn't a terrible thing, living. In fact, I'm rather enjoying it. Slowly.

Perhaps it would have been easier to write about all these things as they happened and prevented myself from getting too overwhelmed, ending in this huge voluminous post (kudos to you if you're still reading), but hey, I did try.

Therefore, back to my main point (can I remember what it was when I started writing this?), I'll be taking an August break. Susannah's great idea, that I found through Alfie, spoke to me--I'll be trying to post every day with just a photo or two, maybe some words, maybe no words, maybe a lot of words. Maybe this will make me want to post more often and get back into the swing of things, but until September, this will be put on hold. I need time. Hopefully you can relate and will still check back in for daily tidbits.

Until then, I wish you the happiest of Augusts and send you peaceful thoughts of summery relaxation! Thanks for listening, truly. My readers mean just as much to me as my writing here.

xoxo

7 comments:

  1. Oh, my, we've got too much in common.
    To brief it all down: I support what you're doing. Was it you I was telling, or another blogger, I can't remember anymore (which will thus validate my point of being overwhelmed), but I've cut back in blogging - from 2 posts a day to 1 - and it's helped immensely. It was getting to the point that I looked at everything in the blog world as a chore, but now I'm back to enjoying it. I've also made up my mind that I must, absolutely must, stop feeling guilty not reading everyone's blogs. I follow so many as is, I simply don't have the time to keep reading every new reader's blog. I feel bad about it - but we must put limits on things. From now on, I'm sticking with what I've been following (this includes you, no worries!) gathering only a select few new blogs every now and then.
    Meanwhile, life/job-wise, this is going to sound very morbid, but I've been thinking about death nearly every single day, multiple times a day, hours a day, for the last, oh, god, I don't know, 6 months now? And it's getting to me. I'm realizing just how ridiculously short are lives are (take this for instance: on another blog, a woman, aged 31, wrote that technically - according to averages - she only has 52 summers to see. Which I suppose is a great amount, but considering how fast this summer flew by, I nearly fainted when I thought about it like that!). So I'm become a sort of anarchist, I suppose - I'm not letting anyone tell me what to do. Parents, friends, government, statistics, norms, whatever. It's my [short] life, I'm going to make the most of it. And oddly enough, instead of turning me into a selfish, bitter ninny, I have just completely swelled with love as a result. Strangers walking down the street are beautiful and I love them; fights are avoided (especially with the parents, as I, too, am living at home) because I realize how pointless most of them are; careers are on hold because honestly? I'm making ok money working for my father and see no reason to rush things, especially since the economy is still down and other people really, really need the job more than I do. I've come to terms with being *too cool* and going out about the town and have shed my hipster skinny jeans and bouffanted hair because when I really reflect, I wasn't happy doing all that (though, don't get me wrong, I still think bouffanted hair is just super sexy). I'm far happier staying in on Saturday night in a fluffy skirt, baking and watching a movie. I got rid of a friend who practically caused me ulcers, because really - you don't need those people in your life, I don't care if you've been friends with them since middle school.
    I suppose the only thing that's ticking, the only thing I'm really impatient for, is finding a city to live in. I still don't know where I'd like to live, either. And I desperately would love to own my own little house one day, very much impossible at this stage. But I look at it on the bright side - by traveling to new places to *inspect*, I get to see this glorious country, city by city. And to me, that's totally one of the best things about living, and I'm willing to take it slowly and richly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Melina--you've got it so right. I concur with every single thing you've written here.

    Especially the part about finding a city/home to live in. Maybe I just haven't been to enough places, maybe I don't know enough people in enough places, maybe I just love everywhere equally--but I just simply don't know. SOMEDAY, perhaps, we'll know! I'm so glad you decided to comment here, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is beautiful and you are a beautiful person! have a lovely break and keep tryig to find out who you are i am so proud of you! and i look forward to the little life snipits! you are amazing just incase you did not know this !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I really hope you are coming here next week. I know alllll about negative, draining energy and its effects. It takes a lot of courage to stand up to that but it's essential to finding your passion and your own way.

    Good for you knowing when you need to take a break too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's great that you recognize you need to take a break - wishing you a happy August as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. RUTH!
    Reading this made me just want to reach into the screen and hug you! I wish we could seriously sit down to some coffee and talk!! I SO know this, I SO feel this. Obviously, I've been so absent from my blog as well... slowly now making my way back, but I was gone for the same reasons! I feel like finally in the last couple of months I've gone through this complete transformation-realization-discovery about me, the internal me and for the first time, I truly feel OK about everything.
    Take your time out, Ruth. I absolutely know that when you sit still and listen, just listen, your soul always has a way of letting you know what you need and that you're always safe.

    Can't wait for your return!

    ReplyDelete
  7. even though you still post during the august break, it is so refreshing to see blogging as so simple---because you do get caught up trying to make the most fabulous posts, etc. you'll love it---and it may continue into a "sept break" :)

    i loved this line: "I want to go to the movies by myself and sit in libraries and read my camera's user manual and eat good cheese and practice yoga and revel in alarm clocks set early."

    sounds like utter perfection. and i totally concur!

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?