Sunday, August 8, 2010

a dapple of my weekend

Another weekend come and gone. Can you believe it's August already? I feel like just a blink ago it was June. I can't make it any more cliche--time is flying by. It's sad, in a way, but it also feels right. It feels right that it's the 8th of August. Although maybe that's because I'm rather looking forward to the fall--I feel like without school looming ahead, the fall months seem to hold happy prospects for me. We'll see.

In the meantime, I've been trying to savor every tiny second of summer.

afternoon sunhanging plantjames

This weekend I went camping with friends in a state park filled with mountains and streams and hiking trails. It was splendid.

tent
trail markerplant, sunridge trailconnecticut mountainss'morestent lightjiffy popstars, blurred

As a kid, my family used to go camping at least once every single summer, driving all over New England. From the White Mountains in New Hampshire to the Berkshires in Massachusetts, we would set up the tent, start a fire, and get out the games, sometimes even braving terrible thunderstorms.

This weekend I traveled to a part of the state I had never seen and submerged myself in all things camping--hiking, roasting marshmallows over the fire, surviving with only an outhouse, playing games by lantern-light, listening to bugs and birds outside the tent (and once even a coyote!), smelling like bug spray perpetually, and cozying up in a sleeping bag.

It was a perfect August weekend.

9 comments:

  1. your weekend looks splendid!
    and i must agree---summer is flying by in the most absurd, yet fabulous, kind of way :)

    ps. i was lucky enough to happen upon that beautiful video on my blog while i was perusing youtube the other day. isn't it marvelous?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm looking forward fall too!!!
    nice images :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, your camping trip looks like it was such a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, what a beautiful view and what a perfect weekend for camping out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome, I wish I could have gone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very, very jealous of your childhood spent camping... oh my. yes I am!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SUCH GREAT PHOTOS!
    how fun to go camping with friends!
    the smore is absolute perfection!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not been camping in years!!! What fun

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?