Tuesday, August 10, 2010

the piercing gun

When I was eight years old, my mother took me to the mall to get my ears pierced. I remember wanting nothing more than dangling earrings that I could swish and swirl with each turn of my head and that could catch the florescent lights of my third grade classroom, all shimmery and glinty.

When I got it done, I sat on a high stool at Claire's and don't remember much except lots of people watching me and thanking the good Lord in heaven when it was over and done with.

Of course, I was eight, so my ears got infected when I neglected to clean them and I can remember many nights spent crying as I tried to force the studs back in and hide the terrible redness from my mother (who, lovingly, decided to believe me when I told her that of course I'd clean them twice a day and not let them get infected or close up like Rachel's did--which I thank her for. I had good intentions).

But I feel as though getting my ears pierced was some sort of rite of passage into biggirldom and I wouldn't take it back.

So, when Mary decided last week that she was finally good and ready to get hers pierced (at the age of ten), I was probably more excited than she was. I even brought my camera in to embarrass her a little more.

Before, she was excited and giddy and just a teensy bit nervous:
excited

Then, the girl started marking her ears and her smile started fading:
marking the ears

Right before she counted to three, the nervousness factor skyrocketed:
ready?

And then, she lost it, and almost came out with one pierced ear instead of two:

the pain!

But hey, I'd still call it a worthy experience she can tuck under her ten-year-old belt. Plus, I had a blast.


Note: I'm not making fun of Mary for having such a low pain tolerance, or for being such a baby. In fact, she laughs about it now and I'm sure she'll get a kick out of seeing these photos up here.
I hope.

14 comments:

  1. aw! i remember getting my ears pierced at a kiosk in the mall when i was 7. mine didn't get infected, but i left my earrings out overnight. one hole closed up. i had to walk around with only one earring in for 3 weeks to let the hole completely close before i got it pierced again. i learned my lesson for when i got my second hole pierced when was 13. this time, that got infected! oh memories....

    ReplyDelete
  2. that last picture is so predictable..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only got my ears pierced because my little sister did first, and I couldn't let her show me up in the bravery-slash-big girl department. Way to go, Mary, for being brave. I promise the dangly earrings will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! True story: I got my ears pierced freshman year of college (wasn't allowed to until I turned 18), and I almost passed out from the "pain."

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love that you caught it all!!

    I think my first ear piercing would have looked much like that. though they did both of my ears at one time and i cried the entire time. then was bribed with boiled lollies to shut up lol

    ah i dont think a girl will ever forget getting her ears pierced :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the progression is priceless! and yes---she will appreciate it one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I remember the pain of getting my ears pierced at the mall (still have the tiny gold heart studs someplace) and how much I had to beg my mom to have it done. Oddly enough, my mom and I had our ears pierced at the same time - until then she'd only worn clip earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you guys can identify with this momentous occasion, too--these stories are all so great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to work at Claire's. It's so much fun to pierce ears! I loved it. But it was always really sad when people would bring in their tiny babies and they wouldn't know what was coming. I felt bad, but it was my job!

    allisterbee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my, all she needs is the comfort from her family. she needs time to recover from that :)

    thyaudaciousness.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you totally opened the floodgates on this one!
    My mother wouldn't let me get my ears pierced for so long. Weirdly enough, I was born with a dimple in my left ear that looks like a piercing - so for birthday gifts from friends, I would always get pierced-ear earrings as mistakes. This would infuriate me, and I'd cry and whine to my mother to let me get my ears pierced. Finally, at age 12, she let me, and off to Claire's we went! I don't really remember much about it - whether it hurt or not - but I do remember being scared shitless. Immediately afterward, however, I remember thinking "ohmygod, I'm a woman now!"
    And now I barely wear earrings :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh!!!! i had my ears pierced when a baby so i can remember if it hurted!!
    nice idea bringing the camera though

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooh man! The gun is sooo aweful!! I was almost 18 when i finally got my ears done and even I had to hold back some of my favorite swears the first set of holes lol. Poor Mary, but Kudos to her!!
    Remember when you and Jana pierced your ears in her basement lol?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, Mary, I do! I almost included that story here, but figured that might need to be saved for another time.....ha!

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?