Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"home" comforts

Two years ago, I graduated from college. I moved back home, tried to make a semblance of a plan, and reassured myself that it wouldn't be permanent.

It's two years later.

And it's taken me a bit longer than I hoped for to come up with a plan. It's difficult to explain. I wasn't ready to move out of my parents' house, to decide where I wanted to live and find a job and feel good about it. I'm still not.

But I'm getting closer. So much closer. One year ago, I don't think I would have survived if I had moved out on my own. Today, I could do it, and keep my mental well-being. But it's not quite ready yet. We're getting there.

In the meantime, I'm living in my teeny tiny bedroom in my parents' home (and I mean really teeny tiny). And I've learned the importance of making this bedroom mine. I'd rather have a kitchen and living room and bathroom all to myself too, but in the meantime, I'm finding small ways to create a space filled with love and positivity and comfort:


IMG_7196
Lots of green plants. Awhile ago I felt inspired for living things and stocked up.

IMG_7201
Mini Tibetan prayer flags strung over my desk.

IMG_7203
Sticky notes strewn about, as reminders.

IMG_7206
My Valentines Day heart garland (I think it's a year-round decoration).

IMG_7210
My Mary Oliver quote on canvas, watercolored.

IMG_7214
A (fake) candle and stones ornamenting my desk.

IMG_7228
And one more little note to myself :)

Some days all I want to do is sit in my room by myself in silence and think of more ways I can make it my own. It's rather fun!

5 comments:

  1. Your room is so cool! I love how positive and colourful it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing hwat a little plant life can do for a room

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely!!



    if you find yourself ready to move, me and my friend are looking to get an apartment near school, and are currently looking for a 3rd roomate!! it would be about $350 a month.


    BTW... i love your Mary Oliver watercolor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE how positive your room is! I need you to come decorate my apt! Haha

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?