Monday, March 21, 2011

my trip to kripalu

Where do I even begin? Kripalu is lovely. It's beautiful. It's perfect. I love everything about it. If you haven't been and you've ever entertained the thought of going: go. Go now. It will change you.

I'll admit--I was way more nervous about this weekend retreat than even I realized. I didn't know what to expect and I only knew a handful of people from my local yoga studio. This was way outside of my comfort zone.

But usually moving outside of your everyday sphere is a good thing. In this case, it was an extraordinary thing.

I arrived Friday afternoon to gorgeous views and 70 degree weather.

kripalustockbridge bowlkripalu

I literally had to try hard all weekend not to grin too ridiculously everywhere I went. The view of the Stockbridge Bowl took my breath away every time I glanced at it. I had lovely roommates from all over the country (even one from southern CA--ahem Carmella) who I wished could have been my roommates in college. The food was my kind of food--the Kripalu kitchen is just as amazing as I'd heard. (And breakfast is silent--SILENT! What a glorious way to start the day.) I don't think I wore a stitch of underwear all weekend (shh don't tell!). I left my hair loose and wild and free and I can count on one hand the amount of times I looked in a mirror. In the hallways, the other retreat participants actually look at you and smile. I felt that I could be myself around them, knowing they too were there for the same thing. Everyone gives each other space to be exactly as you feel.

endless food at kripalustockbridge bowl

The environment was exactly what I needed to discover a spring of clarity and support that made my every decision and action so intuitive and easy. Saturday morning, instead of waking up early for 6:30am yoga, I fell back to sleep in my little top-bunk bed-nest under the cloudy gray sky and woke up feeling alive and refreshed, glad to have listened to my body. As much as I loved my workshop presenter (she reminded me of Diane Keaton!), the workshop itself wasn't as informative as I thought it'd be, so I decided to skip my Saturday afternoon session. Instead, I walked the labyrinth (my new favorite activity), visited the meditation garden, journaled in The Sunroom, and practiced yoga. I drank endless amounts of tea from the dining hall, danced to an amazing concert Saturday night, stood outside forever staring at the Super Moon (we may have even howled at it...), and furiously copied down the quotes plastered in the stairwells. I spent hours in the shop, browsing books and trying on jewelry and coming away with mala beads and colorful stones and prayer flags and Deepak Chopra books. I even discovered my soul color (it's purple, of course).

gloomy day at kripaluentrance to the labyrinthOMloved this dancing goddess!center of the labyrinththe earth altarswami kripalu meditation gardenrushing creekthe super moon!impulse ensemblethe sunroom

Kripalu was perfect. I had to drag myself away Sunday afternoon. It fed my soul. It allowed me to exist. Peacefully. That was all I wanted.

Namaste!


(Last chance to enter the giveaway! I'll select a winner tomorrow :)

15 comments:

  1. This sounds lovely Ruth - it reminds me of a place near my home called Esalen in Big Sur, I've wanted to visit for a little weekend retreat for a while now.

    So glad you came back feeling refreshed. Lovely photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds exactly like my kind of place. i'm glad you had a great time- i want to plan a trip there sometime this year or next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh what an amazing weekend! I feel more relaxed just reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, such gorgeous photographs! It really looks like such a peaceful sanctuary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that sounds absolutely amazing! I am glad you had such a great time :) How perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) how amazing!!
    i'm so glad you had such a wonderful experience. your photos make me want to just move there! i'm going to make it a mission to get over there for myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Ruth, this sounds wonderful. I'm so glad you got to have such an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  8. stunning photos! thank you so mcuh fro sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely, I have always wanted to go there. it is one of yoga dreams. soon.looks like an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you make me want to get on a airplane and go there right NOW!!!!

    it looks fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi ruth! pretty photos.

    I'm actually doing a "whats in my camera bag" post near the end of the week where I'll tell you about what camera and lenses I use and how I photograph myself :) so keep your eyes on my blog till then!
    xo Moorea

    ReplyDelete
  12. so much beauty. the trees and light and sky... lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing your photos of Kripalu, and I'm so glad you got to go and had a good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing this...I am a Kripalu yoga teacher and take a group every year to Kripalu...I am going to send the members of my group your link so they can see the wonderful pictures and your comments.

    Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  15. I went there with my sister and mother in August 2010...my sister is a yoga teacher in NY. Wonderfully peaceful, genuine yoga experience. To be truly enjoyed, requires your authentic self. Glad the experience moved you. I wish I spent more than 2 days and would recommend first timers spend a minimum of 3-4 days to get the full feel.

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?