Wednesday, March 23, 2011

mid-night revelations

Friday night, at Kripalu, I woke suddenly in the middle of the night. It took me a moment to remember where I was.

And why my room was blindingly bright.

My bed was bathed in a bright white light, as if the overhead lights had been turned on. It was so bright, I had to squint. I looked around and saw that my seven other roommates lay sound asleep, oblivious to this phenomenon I was trying to decipher in my half-asleep state. I looked down at my hands only to discover that they, too, were cast in an eerie, almost other-worldly light. Confused, I looked about frantically. It was 3am.

And that's when I saw it--from my top bunk by the window, through the slats in the shades, sat the moon. She bobbed there right outside my window, smiling and peering in at me. I blinked. I noted the time. Thinking back, I'm not sure why I was so shocked to see the moon, but I remember thinking I must be dreaming.

The next morning, I did think I had dreamt it. The hazy sleepiness, the heavenly light, the overwhelming calm and peace that washed over me--surely not the work of the moon.

That night, I wondered if the moon would visit me again. I fell asleep in the hopes of being awakened at 3am again by that bright, bright light.

At 3am, I woke up. The room was dark. I thought I had missed it or the clouds had hidden it. I fell back to sleep disappointed. But at 4:30am, I woke suddenly.

She was back. The same full orb sat in my window, seemingly taking up the entire frame. I lay back, smiling, looking again at my glowing hands. I felt as if an old friend had come to visit again. I felt reassured, soothed, at peace. And I meditated in front of that super moon in the middle of the night in the Berkshires amidst sleeping strangers.



Sunday morning during 6:30am yoga, the first thing our instructor asked us was if we had seen the super moon that weekend. He told us of how full moons can signify cultivation and abundance and clarity in our journeys and brought back our entire practice that morning to the power of the moon.

Imagine that.

4 comments:

  1. this is a beautiful post. thank you for sharing this story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is lovely! i'm trying to convince my Mom and sister to come with me for a Kripalu weekend this summer. Just us girls before I move away in August! here's hoping they say yes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful story :) Most people missed it, I'm glad you got to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful story! I like the way you told it, how it unfolded. :)
    I saw the moon that morning and also meditated by its light.

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?