Monday, February 22, 2010

solo vacationer


I think it's about time for a solo "vacation." Maybe one is needed every 22 1/2 years to recharge. Because that'd be just about the right time, then.

I've been contemplating this for awhile. I feel like I just need to get away, to "turn so far inwards I think I'm inside-out," as Melanie put it. I need time to think things through, without the distractions of daily life. Even just to get out my room, house, town--I need something.

My first, and perhaps most pressing, thought is that this is, essentially, a very selfish choice. It involves nothing but me. Guilt follows, somewhat naturally, I suppose. But I think we need to be selfish, every now and then. And if taking time out for myself could make me a better sister, daughter, friend, teacher, coworker . . . then it's not really all that selfish, is it?




Then comes the hard part of deciding what to do. Taking a long walk won't do. Travelling for a week won't, either. I've looked into yoga retreats, but let's face it: as an AmeriCorps volunteer, I'm perpetually broke.

Tell me: have you ever taken a solo trip? Have you ever taken time out of your usual, daily life for yourself?

8 comments:

  1. I like taking long solo-drives, but that is neither environmentally conscious nor quite long enough for the type of personal time you seem to be in need of.
    Although a solo road-trip sounds really fun! If there are any nearby touristy attractions worth a day trip to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't sound selfish to me at all! Different things drive different people; if you're feeling a need for that you should listen to that inner voice. I've traveled alone to see Grandparents and for work in the past, but never on a vacation. Not that I wouldn't want to - it just hasn't ever happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For my birthday, I went to a weekend meditation/yoga retreat, I highly recommend a solo adventure - it's so refreshing!

    Weekend retreats can be inexpensive, I found some that were anywhere from 180-500 bucks.

    It's not selfish at all...
    after all, you can't give what you don't have... so go out there at get centered and refreshed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to take day trips to boston and sit by the harbor, or mystic for a less bustle
    ing endevour . Are you looking for an overnight deal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm about to do just that for the first time in many, many years - first a day-long meditation retreat at my local yoga studio in the woods, and at the end of March 4 days at Kripalu. That one was a splurge because it's part of a retreat given by Krishna Das and Sharon Salzberg, but I opted for staying in a dorm room to offset the cost a little. We'll see how that goes...

    I was just writing a post about listening to one's inner healer/intuition so I don't think your desire for some personal R&R time sounds selfish or indulgent at all, I think it sounds like you're very self-aware!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've done solo trips, but always have met up with people in the end. These have ranged from snowboard lessons in the middle of summer in Oregon to Athens, Greece; and I'm very much in love with traveling alone that I'd like to take another trip soon and not talk to anyone but strangers and locals... Perhaps in a foreign-speaking county?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks you guys! I have a lot of thinking to do now.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely take a solo trip! It could be JUST what you need.

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?