Monday, January 18, 2010

a dapple of my weekend.

stacks of books.

cooking carrots and parsnips.

lots of reading.

we should have put away that old soccer goal before winter.

snowtracks.

who's george?

saturday morning ice skating.

my ankles started to hurt.

three girl-shadows.

snowy fields. i remembered to stop and capture.

note to self: do not click and drive.

really, is there much better than old wooden spools?

boiling lentils. with a bay leaf.

blood oranges are back in season.

so let's make cake.

Did you know it's January 18th already? JANUARY EIGHTEENTH.
This year/month is flying by without my noticing, just like this weekend did.
It always seems that no matter how prepared for it I am,
the weekend always comes and goes quicker than I can realize,
and then POOF! it's Monday.


I've come to know, though, that I have a large problem with learning to relax.
I mean, I just said I "prepared" for my weekend.
I did not go on a trip.
I did not have big plans.
I did not need to fulfill large responsibilities.
I simply needed to unwind.

And for me, that apparently means making lists three pages long of "unwinding" items,
like cleaning the litter box, changing my sheets, and paying bills.


Now, these are all nice things to accomplish over the weekend,
but it did not take me all weekend.
Free time was spent watching TV, watching movies, checking blogs, and writing emails.
Which pretty much means placing myself in a time warp and coming to hours later to see my day is gone.


I need to learn how to do nothing.
I haven't been able to understand why I'm still feeling so tired and worn out,
even though the holidays just ended and I've had plenty of time off.
It's because with my "time off," I haven't actually shut off.
I need to learn how to do nothing.



3 comments:

  1. You always take the most wonderful, elegant photos Ruth! I'm so envious! and your weekend looks like it was amazing! I love blood oranges, but have never had them in a cake before, and now I'm totally craving it!!

    I am pretty good at doing nothing! I can give you some tips - I am the queen of doing nothing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those blood oranges look so delicious. I forgot that they were in season!

    Also, lots of reading is the perfect way to spend a snowy weekend. I love your pictures of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth, these photos blew me away!
    All of them.
    Fun fun fun and so evocotive. Loved the ice skating/shadows one.
    I know just what you mean about time getting sucked away. I always thought I was relaxing when I was on the computer but found that I felt a whole different kind of relaxed this weekend without it.
    Try it. You'll be amazed.

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?