Thursday, January 21, 2010

super flaxseed boule.

Last night I baked a delicious flaxseed loaf and couldn't wait to share it with you guys. I've made it in the past (and shared a little about it here), and it lived up to its previous success again. It's packed full of flaxseeds and just plain tastes GOOD for you. I first came across this recipe in Vegetarian Times, but adjusted the recipe just a little (the magazine's version also leaves out a step, which confused me at first). I'd highly recommend it!




Super-Flax Whole Wheat Boule

1 cup + 1 T. flaxseeds
2 T. sugar, agave nectar, or honey
0.25 oz. active yeast
3 c. flour
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 t. salt

(Or, like me, just use 4 1/2 c. white flour if you don't have whole wheat.)

Place 1/2 cup flaxseeds in a bowl, cover with water, and let soak overnight.

Combine sugar, yeast, and 2 cups warm water in bowl and let sit for 5 minutes.

Grind remaining 1/2 cup + 1 T. flaxseeds in a coffee grinder. Combine in a bowl with flour and salt. Drain soaked seeds and add to flour mixture. Add yeast mixture and stir until a dough forms.

Knead on a floured surface until no longer sticky, adding flour as needed. Roll into a ball and place in a greased bowl, letting rise for 1 hour. Punch down, and let rise for 1 hour more.

Roll into a tight ball and place on a large, greased cookie sheet. Brush with water and sprinkle with flaxseeds and cut a tic-tac-toe crisscross in the top, if desired. Bake at 400 degrees for 45-60 minutes, or until loaf sounds hollow. Let cool, and then slice.


I prefer mine topped with melted cheese and cup of coffee in the morning. Nothing beats it.



Keep a smile on your face!

5 comments:

  1. hey hey, nice boulé! sorry, i've always wanted to say that.
    i am seriously impressed by your bread-making ability though, this looks like the fresh loaves i pay $5 a pop for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed! That looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks and sounds so good! I got a breadmaker for Christmas; the recipe I've been using for our sandwich bread is full of flax seeds & we all love it. Happy Friday! xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! I love flax bread!

    And thanks for your comment on my blog today. Knowing other women are going through the same conflicts & dilemmas really helps!

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?