Friday, January 15, 2010

haiti (the one i used to know)

I made papitas last night (fried plantain chips), just like the ones we'd buy on the streets.


The mission house (yard pictured above) has been completely destroyed.

This little girl was one of many children living with a woman in Port-au-Prince,
providing almost 40 kids with a makeshift orphanage in her home.
If the streets and homes were already this bad, I can't imagine them now.


This food program was run by Madame Samson, who feeds over 60 neighborhood children per day. She is reportedly safe. I haven't heard anything about the children.


The Presidential Palace (no longer home to the president since unrest in 2004) is destroyed.




I wish I could do more. I already miss the Haiti of old.

4 comments:

  1. wow it must be so hard to know what haiti was like before and seeing how it is now. i hope haiti finds peace, thanks for sharing these

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last picture is a beautiful story. Just reading though the blog posts, more people have been there than I would have guessed. I'm glad you posted these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting these. It is so sad, my heart breaks every time I watch the news. I donated some prints to an auction on Flickr and they have raised over $8000 for the Red Cross and other organizations. I wish I could do more too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed that you've been there and can directly relate to the tragedy. The internet has done wonders for fundraising but this is the first direct connection I've read. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?