Monday, April 19, 2010

dreaming

easter treepolishafternoon lightbirdie-gazing

Last night I had a dream that I went into the woods and the snow had, in fact, not melted yet. Despite the few 80-degree days we had and the month being April, snow was still tucked in beneath bushes and mixed in with leaves and fallen logs. I couldn't comprehend the fact that outside the woods, in my backyard and on the street and in the budding trees, it was bright and warm and springtime, but down in those dark cold woods, there was still that snow that had yet to disappear.

I found myself wondering if it ever disappeared, if it melted down into the dirt once July came and the weather was constantly warm, or if it always stayed there in those dark cold woods and I had never bothered to notice.

I think the real point must be that I wandered into the woods and noticed the snow at all, right?


*****
(I've been contemplating dreaming often lately. Ever since I can remember, I've had vivid night dreams that I can remember for weeks to come. Just getting back into bed the next night, in the same place in the same position, recalls them freshly to mind. I can still remember particular dreams that I had when I was in elementary school. Sometimes they contain premonitions, even. I'll often wake up and be so convinced they were real, I'll have to consciously think about who and where I am. Perhaps I should be recording these dreams, and attempting to analyze them, I've decided. I'm not sure that dreams are completely arbitrary, do you think?)


PS
Above photos are from two weekends ago, which I meant to put into an "A Dapple of My Weekend" post, which I failed to post at the proper time because I went on a subconscious posting strike. Better than late never though, right?


5 comments:

  1. I actually recently wrote about dreams and how one in particular changed my life and the way in which I thought about things.

    I'm not a particularly religious person but I do think that dreams are messages from God.

    A little way of sending you in a specific direction or making you look at yourself in a way that you wouldn't have previously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think dreams can definitely mean something. What that something is, I never know. But I'm not sure if I believe those dream books available, because I think dreams are far more personal and variable depending on who has them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dreams are awfully weird, aren't they? I spent a summer going to an early morning class (7:30, a 30 minute drive from my house), then coming home to sleep and work later. I would sleep really deeply, and always wake up thinking my dreams had actually happened. I spent a couple months being angry at people because of fights we had in my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True story: When I was in New Hampshire, it was sixty degrees one day, then it snowed the next. SNOWED.

    I used to be like you- I would have incredibly vivid dreams every night. Not as much anymore, but my dreams have definitely still been known to affect my mood for days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are a dreamer.
    you must write them down.
    they are telling you lots.
    i love those window cats.

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?