Tuesday, April 27, 2010

forget-me-nots*

forget-me-nots


When I was little, the field behind my house would be covered in a sea of light blue forget-me-nots every spring. One morning, my sister and I decided we wanted to pick some and bring them up to the house to show my mom--it just didn't make sense to us that they should be wasted out in the field where no one could see them.

So we wheeled our doll stroller down the big hill and started picking. Handful by handful, we picked that field clean and filled our carriage up. Unfortunately for us, we also pulled up the roots, and our father wasn't pleased.

Ever since then, forget-me-nots have never grown in that field again like they used to. But whenever I see them anywhere else, I always remember that time in the field with Rachel and our filled-up stroller of forget-me-nots.


Do you have certain spring memories that come back to you every year? I'd love to hear them!




*My mom is telling me that these aren't really forget-me-nots. They're called bluets, apparently.

5 comments:

  1. Our yard was infamous for hydrangeas. I thought they were the most bizarre flower ever! Our backyard shared a chainlink fence with a public playground, and all the other kids in the neighborhood would pick our hydrangeas through it and leave scattered flowers all over the playground... i would get so mad at anyone I saw do such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) sounds like a bitter sweet memory. someone should put some seeds in that field - they aren't hard to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My garden normally grows a single rose or two and tomatoes. I can't wait to start gardening again. Forget - me - not or bluets are still pretty. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful photo! I used to like to pick these for my mom too (whatever they're called) but not as enthusiastically ; ) I always added dandelions to the mix as well, and one of my spring memories is the sweet scent of dandelion, which still brings me back to being a kid.

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?