Sunday, September 12, 2010

a dapple of my weekend

Ah, September. I'm loving you more now than I even thought I would.

Despite being drastically chillier and much less summery, this weekend went splendidly. I still feel like it's Friday afternoon and here it is Sunday night. Every minute was crammed full--but in a good way, a way that makes me want to go back and relive it all over again.

Friday night there was the making of veggie burgers and sweet potato fries while drinking beer and watching The Office. (Do Friday nights get much better?)

Early Saturday morning my mom and Mary went with me to the Brimfield Flea Market and we trudged around for hours, scavenging for treasures and trying on lots of silly hats.

jewelry scavengingmom and maryin the mirrorkitties galoreold cameraswendy the dress form!

And I even came away with my most-longed-for item: a dress form! I call her Wendy. And I can't wait to start using her for new sewing projects. (Also, I paid $20 for her, which is absolutely ridiculous. I couldn't believe my luck.) All poor Mary wanted was a cat figurine--and we never found one that wasn't considered some sort of lousy antique and anywhere near our price range. Poor girl.

Saturday and Sunday I stayed with friends at their parents' lake house while they're housesitting, baking apple cake and watching 80s movies and laughing till our stomachs hurt.

before dinnerjoeybright sunsetbuddy in the sunmoon over the lake

Then we ended the weekend by visiting the Coventry Farmers' Market, one of the largest in Connecticut and really a great experience. We wandered the holistic health vendors and ate vegetable samosas and bought pretty grape tomatoes. Unfortunately, I can't believe it took me all summer to get there.

coventry marketvegetable samosasfarmer's producegrape tomatoes


I hope September is welcoming you, as well!

8 comments:

  1. I love looking at your weekend in pictures and reading bits too...looks like a fun and relaxing one! I always look forward to your posts!

    Liesl :)

    P.S. I love sweet potato fries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth, i love your blog so much!
    i always look at your weekends and say "i really want to hang out with her."

    i finally ordered a legit camera, can't wait til it gets here, all your photos just make me want to go out and get snapping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, sweet potato fries! Looks like you had a fabulous weekend! I too am loving the new chilliness of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow 20 bucks for a dress form, what a great find

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw, poor Mary...that's exactly why i hated Brimfield the one time I went with you and Kate - everything was ridiculously expensive because it was "antique"

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love rummaging through markets and antique shops!
    the photo with the cat on the table is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for the dress form bargain! Those things are usually quite expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ruth! I was at Brimfield on Saturday with Gordon! I should have called... :(

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?