Monday, September 20, 2010

a dapple of my weekend

Began with the annual fair parade on Saturday morning. We settled into our same spot every year, took goofy pictures and admired a lovely meadow across the street while we waited for it to begin, and then cheered on the floats as candy was hurled at our feet.

paradeparademeadow

Later that day I tried my hand at creating a tempeh sandwich. I roasted my leftover baby heirlooms from last Sunday's farmers' market and ate them with avocado, vegan mayonnaise (a hit!), marinated tempeh, and romaine lettuce. I wasn't impressed with my first try at tempeh, though--I think I'll need to try a new recipe next time. This one would have been just as delicious with an emphasis on the avocado and skipping the tempeh altogether.

baby heirlooms, to be roastedtempeh sandwich

Newly visiting birds to our house created an uproar with the cats.....there always has to be an eye on the cage. Blanche is just too interested.

bird, cat

And then the fair! Oh, the fair. You can always count on the fair, every September. It's like a town-wide holiday. If you're not home, you're at the fair. Everyone's at the fair.

prize-winning chickensbingocorn eating contestfair foodferris wheel, swings

Fall is just going to keep getting better and better, I can feel it.


6 comments:

  1. Hello! I just became a new follower (as well as a new blogger as of a few days ago) and thought I'd throw out a greeting! Your town's fair sounds like lots of fun! I like the idea behind your 'Dapple of My Weekend' posts. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!!!1 Awesome post Ruth!!!!! The photos are as good as ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fair. (Not yours, obviously, never having been to it, but all fairs.) There's something really magical about them, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a great weekend. Love that last photo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that picture of the tomatos! Sounds like your weekend was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Words can't even describe how sad I was to miss the fair

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?