Tuesday, March 23, 2010

bring on the rain

Today is dark and rainy and foggy and gray. I still don't feel entirely awake, even though I was up early to get a jump on Starbucks' Free Pastry Day (oh yes). But even though these kinds of days make everyone sleepy and sad and sluggish, I secretly love them.

They inspire me somehow, and make me even more motivated to write or create in some way. I'm kind of a freak, actually--I don't have any desire to live in California or Florida where it's sunny the majority of the year. I need me some good rainy days. (Hence, my extreme desire to get into grad school in the Pacific Northwest.) There's something about a good rainy day that makes me want to go outside and walk in it, to bring an umbrella or put up a hood and just go sit. And dream.

Or maybe go boating on a foggy lake and just listen to the stillness.


Or cozy up in bed and revel in the gray light and listen to the raindrops pelt the house.

But they also make me yearn to walk through fields with a boy,
or play with silly kittens all day long,
or yearn for sunshine and laying around in the morning light. (I'm very fickle, I suppose.)
None of these, however, can I do while I'm at work. Boo. (I promise, pretty soon I'll steer away from these mopey I-hate-work posts...)

On the bright side, look how cute my Gmail is today:

It even gives you little raindrops on the screen. Sometimes I hurry to open my mailbox so I can see what kind weather-interpretation it comes up with that day. It's the little things.....
Tell me: do you enjoy rainy days? Am I the only one?


Photos: HeatherBreanne ,EmilyDoe,Fetie,NataLizzie , Nikolinelr

6 comments:

  1. I'm the same way - I could never live where palm trees live, I just love me stormy weather and even the snow for parts of the year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait what! What is this weather gmail and why do I not know about it? How awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rainy days!

    I noticed that when its nighttime my gmail will go from green to dark purple. Its awesome!

    I likes your pretty pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love rainy days! and that kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rainy days are lovely, but I'm ready for it to be sunny again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe you among the very few people who enjoy this dismal weather. It works the opposite on me, making me grouchy, depressed, sluggish and spiteful that the sun isn't out.

    ReplyDelete

Have I ever told you how much I love your comments?